The Haines Chamber of Commerce was organized on March 26, 1909, before the incorporation of the City of Haines. At that time, the Haines Chamber of Commerce Constitution was accepted with 22 signatures. Initial membership fee was $5 and dues were $.50. Officers and trustees were elected, with George Vogel as President. Meetings were held twice a month at the Arctic Brotherhood Hall located on Second Avenue near the corner of Union Street. Records were maintained until February 1910.
The Chamber of Commerce reorganized on May 12, 1913, with 48 members and R. M. Odell serving as President. The specific purpose for organizing was to promote the building of a railroad (Alaska Midland Railroad) from Haines into the Interior of Alaska. A letter concerning this matter was sent to President Wilson. By May 1914, minutes were typed rather than handwritten. Located in the Sheldon Museum is a Haines Chamber of Commerce book of records showing the last recorded meeting as August 13, 1914.
To form a non-profit corporation, Articles of Incorporation were adopted on May 16, 1973. Signers of the Articles of Incorporation were Thomas E. Haisler, Carl W. Heinmiller, and Richard C. Folta.
On February 15, 1974, Emmitt Wilson, Commissioner of Commerce of Alaska, recognized the Haines Chamber of Commerce as a non-profit organization. On February 27, 1981, the Haines Chamber of Commerce became classified as a 501(c)(6) in the IRS Code.
Today, a Board of Directors, which consists of nine members, each elected by the membership to three-year terms, governs the Chamber.
The Haines Chamber of Commerce is a 501(c)(6) non-profit organization whose primary mission is to promote economic growth and advocate for the Haines Borough business community.